Friday 18 April 2008

Glace Ginger

I have had a brain freeze over the last couple of weeks as to what my next recipe is going to be. I have been fretting. I don't know why? I suppose all the job hunting has put me in a very focused place. I am only in the last 5 days getting interviews for jobs I applied for 3-4 weeks ago. I don't know what is happening with the job market at the moment. It seems to be very different than the last time I actually had to go out and apply for one. I have kinda just fell into the roles I have had. So this is new territory for me. All the waiting kinda makes you feel sick and nervous at the same time. The interviews are now coming through thick and fast which is making my head spin. So cross your fingers for me that I get the one that I want.

Sorry I have digressed. Back to the ginger. I was walking through the supermarket the other day talking to myself, saying I have to come up with something soon that is worthy. Then I saw the most beautiful looking hands of young ginger. I picked one up and here we are. This is the first recipe and there will be a couple more ginger recipes to proceed it. One involves macadamia nuts, dates and of course the glace ginger, but you will have to wait for the next post.

I thought I would try my hand at making glace ginger and I am glad I did. It is actually very easy and personally tastes so much fresher and spicier than the jar variety. I didn't use a recipe, I just kind of winged it myself. The end result is wonderful. Not to thick, not to thin, very spicy, sweet and fresh.

Ingredients
  • 1 Hand of ginger, peeled and julienned (aka thin strips)
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 2 tablespoons of glucose syrup or corn syrup

On a low heat in a heavy based saucepan place the water and sugar. When the sugar has dissolved completely add the ginger. Allow to simmer gently until the ginger goes translucent and the liquid has reduced by half. This took me about 45 Min's. Then I added the glucose syrup, simmered for another 15 Min's and your done. Allow to cool slightly and store in a sterilized jar. It makes about 1 and 1/2 cups.

It is really lovely to make yourself, so much fresher. I think it will make a real difference flavour wise to the pudding I am making next. Go on give it a try :)

5 comments:

Vida said...

Good luck darl, I hope it all works out for you... I am still trying to get my dream off the ground, hard work I must say but hopefully one day I will look back with gladness!!! Vida x

Anonymous said...

Best of luck with the job hunting - I've been jobless for the past 2 1/2 months and only just been given a decent job...just hang in there and don't let yourself be dragged down by the hunt :) When it gets too much, bake something ;)

Squishy said...

Hey Vida, It will work out for me, it would take so much to bring me down. I am a survivor with a positive attitude. You will get your dream off the ground because your passionate about it and your putting in the hard work. Dreams do come true for those who have the determination to make them come true.

Hey Ellie, thanks for your words of support. 2 1/2 months hey wow, I am going nuts and I am only at my 4th week. I have been baking, so the next post is a winner.

Cheers
Amelita

Fran Jelley said...

I found your lovely page when searching for homemade glace ginger. I like to eat glace ginger, slivers of peeled green apple, and gruyere cheese (or any other fantastically brilliant cheese). I make a sort of apple sandwich by slicing the apple on a mandolin. Problem has always been that the glace ginger pieces in the buderim packet are the wrong shape for my apple,ginger and cheese breadless sandwich.
What is the purpose of the glucose syrup addition? I will certainly try this recipe altho i will use the mandolin to make larger strips, i think.
Good luck and thanks for the good page. Fran Jelley

San Francisco Catering said...

The Asian Style fish looks really good. Can I have the full recipe (or part of it if you want to keep it a total secret) so I can use it in my San Francisco catering business