Wednesday 13 December 2006

My Onion and Chilli Jam - So Easy :)



This is great as a sandwich spread, pizza sauce, wonderful with cheese, a great all rounder.

4 Large Brown Onions - Sliced
1 Big Knob of Real Butter of course
Couple of Good Splashes of Olive Oil
Good Pinch of Salt Flakes
3 Large Granny Smith Apples - Peeled Cored and Sliced
4 Large Cloves of Garlic - Chopped
I Cup of Water
I Cup of Sugar
4 Small Hot Red Chillies - Chopped Finely including the seeds
Good Pinch of Black Ground Pepper
Juice of Half a Lemon

Fry onions in butter, oil and salt until browned and softened. Then add all remaining ingredients and simmer on medium heat for about 20 mins or until apples are very soft. Stirring occasionally. Allow to cool slightly and pulse in a blender, but not to much. You want it to have a little texture. Then put into sterilized jars to preserve.

Every batch I make is different. I tend to feel my way with cooking, so I vary it depending on my mood or what needs to be used up in the fridge. Try mangoes in place of apples, or pears in place of apples. For different variations.

Enjoy!

No comments: